Girl Crush of the Week: Chelsea MacMeekin of Haute Child in the City
A woman with a love for tartan and pink? A woman on the brink of losing it between her job, her family, her blog, her friends? A woman who keeps it together and still manages to look fabulous? Obviously we're spirit animals (or at least we'd like to think).
We first discovered Chelsea MacMeekin of Haute Child in the City as a commenter on our blog and, after checking out her blog, we fell for her. Chelsea's honesty and realness shine through in each of her posts in a genuine way. Then of course, there is her love of shoes, anything monogrammed and the color pink and well, we know we had to feature her. Please join us in getting to know the fabulous Chelsea MacMeekin, our latest Girl Crush of the Week!
- Style icons? Coco Chanel, Jackie O, Audrey Hepburn, Diane Von Furstenberg, Sarah Jessica Parker
- Design philosophy? Never take yourself too seriously; Design is something that you should have fun with and is always evolving. I love integrating the unexpected and quirky into the everyday- my rule is 80% classic, 20% trendy. Don’t be afraid of color or mixing pattern and never say never.
- Favorite book of all time? My favorite book of all time is “The Little Prince”; I grew up reading the book and I love how depending upon the point that you are in your life it can mean something different to you. I think there’s something really special about a book that can span multiple generations. I also collect the book in different languages from my travels -although I can only actually read it in French. And the first book we got for my son’s nursery was a pop-up version of “The Little Prince”. I really look forward to sharing the book with him.
- Best advice you ever received? You get what you pay for in shoes, purses, haircuts, and bikini waxes. (Trust me, if you’ve had a bad one of any of these, you’d agree!)
- Favorite stores? Nordstrom is my go-to because they have just a great variety of brands and price points and simply amazing customer service. I’m also doing a lot of shopping at JCrew. Their clothing is spot on these days and I work with a personal stylist in our local store-she is great because she has an amazing sense of style and helps me think outside my box. And for arm candy, Kate Spade makes a great bangle.
- Dream place to live? If I were to live anywhere stateside it would have to be Chicago. I adore that city; gorgeous architecture, great food, really amazing shopping. If I were to move across the pond it would either have to be in Paris – it’s where my husband and I spent our first Valentine’s Day together as a couple (totally cliché, right?! I love it!)
- The one product you're obsessed with right now? As I get older (sigh), I fully understand the importance of taking better care of my skin. Estee Lauder’s Advanced Night Repair is an amazing serum. I wish I had listened to my mother a decade ago and started using it sooner.
- Biggest indulgence? Shoes and sequins have to be my biggest indulgence; I tend to never deny myself a good heel or anything that has sequins on it. (My husband may have to stage an intervention sometime in the not-so-distant future). And Brie…I am a sucker for anything with Brie in it.
- Girl crush? Blake Lively – she dances on tables with Florence from Florence + the machine, rides scooters in Paris with Christian Louboutin and is Karl Lagerfeld’s muse. And yet despite all of that she seems so down-to-earth and has a great sense of style (and an incredibly attractive husband). It would easy to hate her, but I just can’t!
- Favorite song? I love Van Morrison and “Into the Mystic” is my hands-down favorite. My mother used to listen to Van Morrison nonstop when I was growing up and so I have a soft spot in my heart for his music.
- Prized possession? My wedding set – now it includes my engagement ring, wedding band, and push present. Each piece is so near and dear to me because it represents a different phase of my relationship with my Husband. I also love that they weren’t made as a set, but complement each other so well. And our fur daughter, Coco – I actually think she owns us, but she’s been around since we moved in together and is such an important part of our family.
- Current hangout? For a good burger and chill atmosphere, I love Chuck’s in Raleigh. The owner has two other really fantastic restaurants in the area (Poole’s Diner and Beasley’s Chicken + Honey) – they are all really amazing.
- Motto? ‘Be the change you wish to see in the world.’ I firmly believe that the smallest voice or gesture can start change..maybe that’s the optimist in me, but I love to believe in the good of people.
- Best place on earth? Despite my penchant for heels and sparkle as well as out-of-control social calendar, I do love being home on the couch with my two guys, Hubs and Peanut and our dog, Coco.
- Favorite drink? I start out my day with a strong cup of coffee, sip mint tea throughout the day, and end my day with a glass of cabernet. If it has been a really long day, a Moscow mule (such an under appreciated drink). If I drink soda, it’s only Dr. Pepper, but usually just drink my full 64 oz of water a day.
Adore Chelsea as much as we do? Follow her here:
Facebook: Haute Child in the City
We are totally spirit animals :) Thanks for the profile ladies! I'm completely blushing and the feeling is totally mutual! xoxoReplyDelete
Haute Child in the City
Loved this feature...I actually went to High school with Chelsea as well! :) Isn't she just adorable?ReplyDelete
Thanks for sharing - her blog is fabu! xReplyDelete
Isn't she just Adorbs!!ReplyDelete
Love myself some Chels!! Isn't she fabulous :)ReplyDelete
Nikki at www.bedazzlesafterdark.com
This looks so wonderful, I found this interview from her blog. Both are such beautiful spaces.ReplyDelete
Yay! Love Chelsea! :)ReplyDelete
Megan from Chasing Davies