But I digress. Mexican cuisine, while delish, isn't the most healthy of things to eat. If I wanted to continue to eat it for every meal, something was going to have to change. My mission became clear- find healthier versions of my favorite Mexican dishes. Luckily Pinterest (follow my food board here) is ripe with these recipes so today I want to share with you three of my favorite recipes.
Roasted Vegetable Tacos
Holy eff these are amazing. I modified this recipe the following ways:
- Removed the avocado cream sauce, not necessary and a fair amount of fat/carbs
- Added asparagus bc I had it in my fridge haha, it was a great addition
- Used these corn tortillas from La Tortilla Factory
- While I was cool with just veggies, my husband is a carnivore, so he whipped up a half batch of this jalapeño pulled chicken in our new crock pot and added that. He was in heaven.
- Covered that sucker in Tapatio. Spicy and delicious.
Lettuce Cup Tacos
A spin on your more traditional tacos, this recipe allows you to use your calories/carbs/points for all the goodies inside the taco instead of using them on the tortilla. I've shared the recipe here. I usually roll with faux taco meat, beans, jalapenos and cheese in mine. So so good.
I'll admit, I was skeptical when I first saw this recipe but honestly I just really wanted enchiladas so I gave it a try. UM they are amazing. So creamy and yummy you forget you are even trying to eat healthy, which is a mission I fully support. Here is the recipe from Skinnytaste.
I hope you all give at least one of these recipes a try. They are all truly divine!