Girl Crush of the Week: Britt Berger of skinnyBLING
|Total top model! Photo Credit: Lina Akgul|
One of the main reasons why we started the Girl Crush of the Week series was to celebrate other badass chicks doing what they love. What I really love about the series is that we get to share their stories with you all and hopefully those stories inspire you in any way. It makes me so happy today to be able to feature one of my best friends, Britt Berger, as our Girl Crush of the Week.
|Mark, myself, Britt and Laurel.|
Britt and I met in the freshman dorms at Miami University. She signed for my laptop when I was at swim practice and after one look up and down of each other, this LA girl and that NYC girl were fast friends. We shared in our fair share of debauchery and drama, but always came back to what we loved - going to Forever 21 hungover and buying the most obnoxious items in the store. If a set of matching white faux fur jackets doesn't say friendship, I don't know what does.
Britt and I have stayed good friends since college, seeing each other as much as we can given we live on opposite coasts. On my last trip to NYC a few months ago, I noticed Britt rocking an awesome ring. When she told me it was just something she and her boyfriend Chris whipped up, I was shocked! FF a few months later, Britt and Chris launched their jewelry brand, skinnyBLING and set up an Etsy shop. They graciously sent us some amazing monogram necklaces, which we styled here.
|skinnyBLING large monogram necklace.|
Obviously I am very proud of what Britt's accomplished, but I'm also proud to be her friend. Get to know why I think she's so awesome in today's Girl Crush of the Week!
- Style icons? Sarah Jessica Parker, Rachel Bilson, Blake Lively, Blair Eadie
- Design philosophy? I’d like to think that it’s clean and simple with a hint of beachy shabby chic, but the truth is that I have way too much stuff. I need to work on de-cluttering in a major way.
- Favorite book of all time? If I had to pick just one it would have to be The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. But I also love Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout, The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld, and Blame by Michelle Huneven. Girls in White Dressesby Jennifer Close is amazing and the funniest thing I’ve ever read. Oh, and how can you forget the classic beach reads My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult and Summer Sisters by Judy Blume?
- Best advice you've ever received? You can do anything you put your mind to, from my #1 supporter – my mom. This advice has worked very well for me over the years.
- Favorite stores? I think of shopping as a competitive sport and nothing makes me happier than getting a great deal. Some of my favorites are Zara, Bloomingdales, Shopbop, Piperlime, and C. Wonder.
- Dream place to live? Right now I’d be quite happy in an apartment in either the West Village or Tribeca (with lots of closet/storage space, of course).
|Britt and I with some of our other best friends since freshman year at Miami. |
We featured Brandi's (next to me) home as part of our Design Envy series!
- The one product you're obsessed with right now? Carols Daughter Chocolat Smoothing Blow Dry Cream. GO BUY IT NOW. My frizzy, overly highlighted, perpetually dead, not straight but not wavy hair is the bane of my existence. This is completely embarrassing, but in 2010 I was on an episode of Rachael Ray’s talk show about people with damaged hair. I can’t even begin to list all the products and treatments I’ve tried, and nothing compares to this truly miraculous hair cream. Trust me.
- Biggest indulgence? The past two years of my life. Feeling completely unfulfilled, I quit my job in finance in 2010 in order to pursue a Masters degree in nutrition and become a Registered Dietitian. Don’t get me wrong, going back to school after four years was not easy, but during this time I’ve learned so much about myself and what I want out of life. I was also able to make two of my dreams into realities: I spent summer 2011 living and working on Nantucket, and this summer, me and my boyfriend Chris started skinnyBLING, an online jewelry shop. Chris is the best friend, boyfriend, and business partner I could ever ask for and we’ve been having the time of our lives building our business together.
- Girl crush? Blake Lively. Completely gorgeous, great style, hot husband, and yet seems very down to earth. And it doesn’t hurt that she’s on the best show ever.
- Favorite song? That changes almost daily. Two of my favs in the current rotation are Colder Weather by Zac Brown Band and Free by Graffiti6.
- Prized possession? Three things immediately come to mind. My grandfather’s Notre Dame class of 1945 ring that I wear on chain as a necklace, my sweet and funny cat Mishca, and my men’s Cartier Roadster watch. Ok, the watch isn’t really “mine” in the literal sense (it was Chris’s college graduation present from his parents), but he’s been kind enough to let me borrow it for the last several months.
|Photo Credit: Lina Akgul|
- Current hangout? The library, skinnyBLING headquarters (aka my desk), and the post office. Glamorous, right?
- Motto? If you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen. (Motto borrowed from Conan O’Brien).
- Best place on earth? Nantucket Island. I truly believe I’m the luckiest girl ever, as I’ve had the opportunity to spend a few weeks with my family every August since I was a little girl on this magical island. Nantucket is only 25 miles off the coast of Cape Cod in Massachusetts, but once you get off the ferry it’s like you are in an entirely different world. I’d try to explain, but I could never do it justice.
- Favorite drink? Anything you can add a squeeze of lemon to – iced tea, seltzer, vodka :)
|Photo Credit: Lina Akgul|
Super cute no?! Check out Britt's fabulous jewelry at her Etsy shop, skinnyBLING!