It's week 3 of the #fiveorless challenge and it's crazy to think I've made it this far. Don't get me wrong, with a dinner party two weeks ago and a wedding this past weekend, it hasn't been all quinoa and blueberries, but I have been eating unprocessed food about 95% of the time. I am getting less stomach aches and seem to have more energy which is AWESOME!
So, the theme for week 3 is learning to cook with unprocessed ingredients. This is actually perfect timing because when I asked last week if anyone was interested in some of the recipes I'd been making as part of the #fiveorless Challenge, several of you said you were.
To be honest, making your own food is the easiest way to become aware of what you are putting into your body. For a couple of years now, I have been prepping breakfast, lunch and dinner for myself instead of eating out. It's extra work, but when trying to eat healthier, it's incredibly helpful.
And so, without further ado, here are some of the recipes I've been making the past few weeks using unprocessed ingredients. Many of my other recipes qualify for this challenge either as-is or with minor tweaks so check them out here.
- Replace the shredded coconut with chia seeds
- 1 cup almond milk or Trader Joe's Light Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-2 scoops Tera's Whey Bourbon Vanilla
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth
- Watermelon slices, about 1 inch thick
- Feta cheese
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Place sliced watermelon on plate
- Mix together arugula, balsamic vinegar, olive oil in small bowl
- Place arugula mix on watermelon, top with feta, salt and pepper
Deconstructed Pesto Salad
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 orange bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 packages sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp ground chipotle peppers
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Corn tortillas
- Slice up bell peppers and onion about 1/2 inch thick
- Mix bell peppers, onions, mushrooms with cumin seeds, chipotle peppers and coconut oil in a bowl
- Place items on griddle and grill for about 10 minutes, mixing/tossing often
- After vegetables are cooked, place on warm tortillas and enjoy!
What about you all? Any recipes you've tried as part of the challenge and loved? Share them in the comments!